logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] setting display_name to "name "

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sun Mar 21 22:21:21 GMT 2010

On 21.03.2010 22:08, Mark Burton wrote:
> Folks,
>

>> You can see the additional label will only be added if it differs from the name after the Garmin codes have been stripped from the name.
>>
> Sure, what's the point in having multiple labels the same (apart from
> the shield code)?
>
> Mark

I'm not setting multiple labels. The display_name is the name shown for
routing instructions. If not set, the ref alone will be taken instead.
So instead of say "left on A11 Westautobahn" the GPS will only say "left
on A11".

Actually it would be great if one could set the display_name for all
roads, but I think it is only possible for roads with a highway-shield.
The name display_name is a bit incorrect, it would be more logically
named "routing_instructions_name". Strangely in City Navigator maps,
there is no additional tooltip for "display_name" even when they use it,
whereas with mkgmap we will always have a second tooltip (be it on GPS
or Mapsource).