logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Finland with almost-working generate-sea

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Mar 10 12:45:23 GMT 2010

10.03.2010 14.32.39, Clinton Gladstone wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>
> wrote:
>
>> If I include the Swedish, Russian and Estonian coastlines to reach
>> the tile borders, then mkgmap will take forever to generate the sea.
>> Maybe I should try with a grossly simplified coastline (just
>> straight lines to the tile borders).
>
> If, by "forever", you mean "about an hour", then yes. :-)

I have not kept exact records, but I believe it is between one and two
hours when I take just finland.osm.bz2. Yesterday I had the patience to
wait for generating a map of just natural=coastline, one tile, but my
Edge 705 did not like the result, presumably because of too large tile
size.

It seems that my attempt at merging missing coastline to Geofabrik's
finland.osm.bz2 with Osmosis is failing for some reason. If I extract
the natural=coastline of the merged map and view the result in JOSM,
the problematic islands are still incomplete.

Now I am trying another approach: removing the partial islands from
finland.osm.bz2 and adjusting the latitude on the eastmost point on the
coast, to create a vertical line on Baltic bay near the Finnish border.
That is a simple matter of

bzip2 -dc finland.osm.bz2|perl -e ...>finland.osm
splitter ...
mkgmap ...

This has the advantage that I do not have to download any extra
coastline, and it will be easier to see the data boundaries on the
device.

Mind you, I have been tuning my approach and rerunning mkgmap all day.
:-) I will update http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/ as soon as I get it
right (hopefully today).

	Marko