logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Flooding of sea - this time inside the middle of the Alps, not related to geofabrik cutting

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sat Feb 27 12:29:34 GMT 2010

On 27.02.2010 11:06, Mark Burton wrote:

>> I don't use 0x4b in Typfile anymore. Having two polygons for one
>> function (get rid of yellow on etrex) is slowing down GPS/Mapsource .13.x
>>
> Fair enough - please try attached new patch that generates the land
> poly.
>

>> The big flooding in the tile of "Bremen"
>> in Germany still exists however (I do know that the geofabrik cut is
>> 100% responsible for it).
>>
> Given the location, I would think that the coastline reaches the edge
> of the tile. In that case, this patch doesn't help. The coastline must
> be broken. I assume that "close-gaps" doesn't fix the problem.

okay, patch works as expected. In both Germany and the Netherlands
flooded tiles have been fixed.

BTW - for the --generate-sea=polygons option, I still do think the
cleanest approach would be to drop 0x4b polygon.
Currently I use --transparent --generate-sea=polygons for mkgmap,
and afterwards run "gmt.exe -w -n *.img" to remove transparency, as this
increases map draw speed on etrex and Mapsource 6.13.x

Maybe there could be more options for the --transparent command. like
--transparent (current behaviour)
--transparent=omit0x4b
--transparent=transparentbit (include 0x4b, but set the transparent bit).

Or make it two options. Like
--background=0x4b (default)
--background=0x?? (allows custom definition of background polygon type)
--background=no (no background polygon)
and
--transparent=no (default)
--transparent=yes (put transparent bit)