logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Process for Creating Contour Maps?

From Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com on Mon Feb 22 07:51:41 GMT 2010

have done for srtm data for parts of US and viewfinder data in the alps
started today to automate it for US based on NED 1 arc second data which is much better than SRTM.
1/3 arc second data is even better but requires to split most tiles and haven't done that yet.
groundtruth didn't work at all for me and now it's all based on gdal* tools shp-2osm and mkgmap with some perl wrapping around. currently I use 25m contour lines and most tiles fit without splitting.
Lars has all NED data and plans to start sharing at least 1 arc second data approx 60G, 1/3 arc second is approx 600G and can't be shared easily. We had some recent discussion on talk-us how this can be done. stay tuned