logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] motor_vehicle

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Sun Feb 21 10:29:50 GMT 2010

>>> Actually, why not? If my memory serves right, mkgmap understands
>>> motorcar and motorcycle (and maps them to the same access bit), but
>>> why  not motor_vehicle? For example in my understanding, tractors
>>> are  covered by motor_vehicle but not motorcar or motorcycle. The
>>> road sign  for banning motor vehicles does ban tractors too.
>> I assume, it is not converted, because there is no acces bit for it in
>> the garmin format. For motorcar and motorcycle there are explicit bits
>> and can be mapped 1:1 to the img file.
>
> Which two bits would they be? As far as I can tell from the source
> code, motorcar and motorcycle are treated the same.

I haven't looked into the sourcecode. But on my etrex I can choose the
types Motorbike and Car (beside HGV, Taxi and others), so there has to
be some difference. As far as I know, these access restrictions are
handled by different bits.

I personally don't like to have this dependencies hardcoded in the java
code. I think it is the use of the style files to map different osm tags
(like the motor_vehicle) to specific garmin ones. So each user can do it
to his own thoughts and use cases.

Regards,
Johann