logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Help from the style file gurus

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Wed Feb 17 15:05:04 GMT 2010

Hi,

I don't know if this already has been discussed, but some combinations of TYP file and overlays wont work in Mapsource.

I'm trying to put oneway, bridge and tunnel symbols on the roads by using the layer style file.
This works fine with tunnels and bridges, but with oneway symbols I noticed the following issue:

For oneway streets I create in the TYP file a line element.
Its a 3 pix bitmap with a a black arrow sign ->  in the centre line.
I use the line symbol 0x00 (Road) to display this line, but any line that garmin can display, works.

In the line overlay style file, I combine this arrow sign with the highways:

0x0200: 0x02, 0x00 (representing highway=primary & oneway=yes or 1)
0x0300: 0x03, 0x00 (secondary roads / oneway)
0x0400: 0x04, 0x00 (tertiary / oneway)
0x0500: 0x05, 0x00 (unclassified / oneway)

I noticed that:

1) Only on the LOWER class roads (0x04, 0x05 etc) the arrow display (that i put in the center of the bitmap)
is displayed fine, as long as I draw the lines as BITMAP in the TYP file.
It doesn't matter if they are either 1 or 2 colored bitmaps. So a yellow tertiary road, with black borderlines,
and a black arrow in the centre of the road indicating the driving direction, will display fine.

2) If I draw the roads as line elements instead of bitmaps, the arrow is NOT displayed.

3) With MAJOR road types 0x02 and 0x03 however, the arrow only shows up if:
- the roads are drawn as bitmap AND
- the center of this bitmap (where the arrow is displayed) is transparent,
otherwise it will be covered by the bitmap color of the road.

With a line that is defined by two colored bitmaps, the arrow is covered and don't show on mapsource

4) As I said tunnels and bridges showed up fine, as long as the bitmap of these tunnels and bridges were wider then the
bitmap of the roads. Of course this could be arrow signs or other symbols too, as long they are drawn outside of the road.

I use mapsource 6.15.7, and I don't know if this behavior is a bug in mkgmap or is it a mapsource issue?