logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Confusing results when uploading.

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Mon Feb 15 13:17:14 GMT 2010

Dave F. (davefox at madasafish.com) wrote:

> Hello Charlie
>
> Charlie Ferrero wrote:
>> Dave F. wrote:
>>  It's a bit tricky to understand what you're trying to do in the
>> second compile.  For instance, you're applying --remove-short-arcs
>> to pre-built IMG files, which doesn't make much sense.
> I'm a bit surprised to hear you say that.
> I'm aware that the options are processed in the order I list them, but
> surely mkgmap knows what they are to be applied to. ie the .OSM file &
> not the .IMGs that are part of the --gmapsupp option?
>

>>  You're also mixing pre-existing IMG files with OSM files, which
>> I'd avoid if I were you. Better to create all the IMG files
>> seperately, then compile them into your ultimate gmapsupp.img in
>> one step at the end.
>>

> I'm following instructions from the mkgmap wiki:
>
> *--gmapsupp* Write a gmapsupp.img file, possibly joining previous
> gmapsupp.img (you need to copy in the Mkgmap's working directory), that
> can be uploaded to a Garmin device in USB mode.
>
> java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp corsica.img cyprus.img mallorca.img
> malta.img tenerife.img
>

> Are you saying this is to be avoided?
The wiki only describes combining IMG files together, whereas you
appear to be both combining IMG files whilst also processing OSM
files, in the same step.  Like I said before, I'd recommend you do all
the OSM processing first.  Then combine IMG files in a second,
separate step.  I'm not saying that you can't do it any other way,
just that this way works!

--
Charlie