logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Maps crashing Mapsource in big cities

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at jemila.jazztel.es on Fri Feb 12 14:49:21 GMT 2010

Mark Burton escribió:
> Hello Lambertus,
>

>> The same problem about crashing MapSource and RoadTrip has also been
>> reported for my maps (e.g. eastern Australia, north and south of
>> Brisbane). The mapbuilding script tries to make those maps as large as
>> possible. Perhaps related is that I  upped the max-nodes from 1.400.000
>> to 1.600.000 for the current map version.
>>
>> I'll reduce the max-nodes for the next update but, ideally, Mkgmap
>> should complain and quit if there is too much information in the source
>> data (This is certainly no complaint, ofcourse I know this all depends
>> on the understanding of the Garmin format).
>>

> OK - you tell us what the limit is and we'll make sure that mkgmap
> gripes if you bust the limit.
>
> Seriously, if you can provide any info as what works and what doesn't
> in terms of maps sizes, numbers of lines, polys, nodes, etc. that would
> be useful and we can code accordingly.
I split Spain (from Geofabrik) into 5 tiles using max-nodes=1800000. I
didn't get any crash on MapSource neither any report of crashes from
others using my maps.
>From splitter output: A total of 6.809.701 nodes, 480.959 ways and
10.262 relations were processed in 1 file
Output osm.gz files grows up to 27.3 MB and resulting img files up to
22.8 MB
Madrid, which is densely mapped (don't know in relation to Athens or
Melbourne), is included in one tile of 26.7 MB (osm.gz) and 22.8 MB (img)