logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bridleway=Fussweg?

From Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com on Sat Feb 6 16:01:07 GMT 2010

Hi

Torsten Leistikow wrote:
> Dave F. schrieb am 06.02.2010 14:01:
>
>> I now understand,
>>

> I don't think so ;-)
>

>> I was under the
>> impression that a line or polygon in the TYP file could be used to
>> represent multiple entities in the OSM data, but as the 'type of entity'
>> name comes from that file, I have to create separate lines/polygons for
>> each different one. A bit labourious.
>>

> The name from the typ-file is only used, if the OSM does not have a name on is own.
>
> So for example in your typ-file the line 0x01 is called "primary"
>
> If you have a way in your OSM-data, wich is converted to a line 0x01 and which
> has a tag name=Examplestreet, than the resulting element in the garmin map will
> have the name "Examplestreet".
>
> If you have another way in your OSM-data, wich is converted to a line 0x01 and
> which does not have a tag name=*, than the resulting element in the garmin map
> will have the name "primary".

I understood all of that previously.

I'm using the online TYP editor: http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

The point I was trying, not very clearly, was if I have a line defined
in the TYP file say 0x2c as a thin grey line, I thought I could use that
multiples times in my 'lines' style file say for barrier=fence & also
waterway=weir.

However, because that definition in the TYP file includes a string
'english (0x04): Fence' when I query a weir (that doesn't have a name=*
tag) on the Garmin screen, it tells me it's a Fence. So therefore I have
to define an extra line in the TYP, with exactly the same attributes
except for the string which I'd change to 'english (0x04): Weir'.

I have another couple of related query:
That 0x2c line above was one I added to the TYP file. The header is;
Line #24) Type *0x2c* [*?*]
1. Is there way to substitute the [?] for a label ie Fence?

I've removed the string 'english (0x04): Fence' from this line so now
when I query a fence or weir it lists them as 'Line' which Is assume is
the basic default(?)
In another case I have a line in the TYP with a header of Line #4) Type
*0x06* [*Road-thin (resident street)*] with no string value.
I've assigned it to highway=unclassified in my 'lines' style.
When I query an unclassified road, that doesn't have name, on the Garmin
it lists it as 'Road'
2. Am I correct in assuming it got that lavel from the header?

Is there a help/tutorial for the TYP editor?

I hope I'm being clear.

Cheers
Dave F.