logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing cities in mapsource search entry field

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Feb 2 19:29:16 GMT 2010

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 02:53:45PM +0000, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> Would a Swedish user want to use codepage 1252 like Western European
> users would?

Yes.  Collation rules and character encodings are two different things.

For what it is worth, MySQL implements a number of collations for
Code Page 1252, which it calls "latin1".  (cp1252 is a superset of
ISO 8859-1 a.k.a. ISO Latin-1.)  Some MySQL collations are documented at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-mysql.html

For cp1252, the MySQL collations include German (DIN-1 and DIN-2),
Swedish/Finnish, Danish/Norwegian, Spanish, general, and binary
(according to code point value).

But like I said in my previous message, we could at least initially
use just one generic collation (case insensitive, ignoring any
diacritical marks and accents).

Best regards,

	Marko