logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing cities in mapsource search entry field

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Feb 2 09:52:48 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 09:39:56AM +0000, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> As a note primarily for Steve Ratcliffe(*): it might be an idea to
> include a boilerplate .SRT file in the .IMG files generated by mkgmap.
> If this is done it is possible that the .SRT file will get loaded to the
> GPS units and help clear up this sorting issue.

We might want to include several .SRT files, for different collations.
While you can collate A=Ä in English and German, Swedish uses the sorting
XYZÅÄÖ for instance.  On the other hand, for the purpose of data entry,
it might be easiest to identify all "funny" letters with their A-Z
cousins, so that one can search for places without having to go through
extra clicks to find the "funny" letters on the virtual keyboard.

If you wish to pursue this idea, the 8-bit collations implemented in MySQL
could be a useful starting point.

	Marko