logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing cities in mapsource search entry field

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Tue Feb 2 09:39:56 GMT 2010

Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>

>> Try to build without --code-page=1250. I bet it will work then. In my
>> eyes the problems are currently all related to using --latin1 or another
>> codepage. Without Codepage everything seems to work (inside Mapsource,
>> not on GPS of course).
>>

> Are you saying don't use any code-page option and don't use latin1?
> i.e. let them be default values.

I've just noticed something that might be relevant. When 'mapsource'
uploads a set of searchable mkgmap to your GPS unit, it seems that it
doesn't include a ".SRT" file. Now, I've only just become aware of the
.SRT file - it typically has the same basename as the .MDR file, but all
it contains is a 256-entry lookup table which categorises the character set.

Garmin (being American) quite probably assume that if there is no such
file, then assume the character set is plain ASCII! If this is the case
then I can well believe that all the European accented characters will
fail to sort correctly. The lookup table in the .SRT file for instance
has an entry for code-page 1250's character 0xC5 (which is 'Aring' - Å)
noting that is is to be sorted equal to plain 'A'. Character 0xC6 on the
other hand (Icelandic Æ) has an entry that get it sorted below 'A' but
above 'B'.

As a note primarily for Steve Ratcliffe(*): it might be an idea to
include a boilerplate .SRT file in the .IMG files generated by mkgmap.
If this is done it is possible that the .SRT file will get loaded to the
GPS units and help clear up this sorting issue.

Steve

(*) And thanks to SR for making me aware of what the .SRT file was about
anyway!