logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Style branch

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Tue Feb 2 01:04:10 GMT 2010

After reworking and shrinking my style-file for the style-branch,
Austria needs around 5:30 min on my PC to compile. Before I needed
around 3:00 minutes with a style-file optimised to work around the bugs
-  (that was before I crashed my style-file and had to rebuild large
parts, speed was not much slower than using default style-file). With my
intermediary style-file that ran more or less with style-branch as well
as old trunk, it changed from 4min trunk to 6min style-branch.

In general now:
Action rules don't seem to add a lot of time.
Continue adds a modest increase
Continue with_actions is the main driver for increase in compile time,
as are long key!=* checks.

On the other hand I found some bugs that I had not discovered before, as
I could shrink my style-file from 1.3MB down to 292KB (still around
50KB-100KB overhead due to set key=value redundancies, or checks that I
could simplify because due to naming now done up front I don't really
need them anymore). Especially the naming of streets is now for the
first time easily possible and works as expected. I was always too lazy
to add the naming complety (would have blown up my style-file even more).

Basically, the more ways on which you use continue or continue
with_actions, the bigger the time penalty.