logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Display of railways

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Sun Jan 31 11:10:18 GMT 2010

Hi Adrian,

Am 30.01.2010 um 23:40 schrieb Adrian:

> Another Garmin foible... Sightly off-topic, but I thought this was the
> best place to post this information.
>
> I have a Streetpilot c550 and an etrex Legend HCx. On both, the last
> zoom setting at which railways are visible is 800ft (resolution 23) with
> normal detail setting. I have discovered that the receivers override the
> resolution which is set in the map (usually around 18). Why have Garmin
> done this? Does someone at Garmin not like railways? RoadTrip does
> respect the resolution which is set in the map.

For some receivers it is possible to set the resolution for which railways are visible on the receiver itself. My guess is that they "forgot" about that feature when they removed this option on the receiver and now it is stuck to 800ft. My solution is the same as yours, to use a different ID for railways. This works also with routable maps, because there is no routing via railways.

> I have worked around this by changing the line type used for railways. I
> make the new line type look like a railway, with a .TYP file. I use type
> 0x10 in a non-routable map, and this works as expected.

Regards
Thilo