logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] --add-pois-to-areas behaviour

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Thu Jan 28 17:16:13 GMT 2010

The reason why you need a matching polygon rule for POIs to be generated is that mkgmap needs this to find out that it is a polygon.

Why is this? Because there is no way to find out whether a closed line is actually a polygon or a line/way besides looking at the tags. From the OSM standpoint a polygon and a line/way are the same. You can't even claim that only polygons are closed, because ways can also be closed (just think about roundabouts). So mkgmap looks whether it finds a matching tag in the polygons style file and if it does it is handled as a polygon. Then it looks at the lines style file and if it's there it is a line.

And AFAIK there is actually a check whether there is a matching POI already inside the polygon.

And besides that, I consider the style handling as it is currently done mostly broken. A complete rework (think style branch) is highly welcome, even if I have to rewrite all my style files and patches.

Regards
Thilo