logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] --add-pois-to-areas behaviour

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jan 28 14:12:00 GMT 2010

On 28.01.2010 15:03, Christoph Wagner wrote:
> Felix Hartmann schrieb:
>

>> That's because it's only a dirty hack alltogether. It would be bit
>> cleaner if there was a seperate file inside the style-file where one can
>> specify the poi to areas keys. Currently mkgmap can only know what kind
>> of POI to create, if it also has a matching Polygon. That's as far as I
>> understood the principle.
>>
> I think I don't understand the point. Why do I need a separate file?
> Why this is not just the following algorithm?
>
> if --add-pois-to-areas is set
> 1. look if there is a matching polygon rule, make a polygon of specified type
> 2. independent if there was a polygon rule, look if there is a point rule for this tag and create a point of specified type if so

Well you might not like to have a POI for every polygon (what's the
point in a POI for a city? - cities are entered as seperate points anyhow)
>> Even with a seperate file it would still be a
>> rather dirty hack, as it would be much better to have the POI inside
>> openstretmap at first hand. I don't really think it is good style to map
>> POIs for areas.
>>
> No, I disagree. If you map a POI as polygon in Openstreetmap there is enough information for a later renderer to get a point out of this if needed.
> Why should I map an additional point in OSM? That would only increase redundancy and brings not more information.

There is absolutely no reason why a POI should be in the middle of a
Polygon. It would be stupid to say because we have a city boundary, we
don't need a city POI in Openstreetmap. For a building you might want to
have the POI at the entry, and not in the middle of the buidling, .....
It is impossible to know whether if there exists a POI inside a Polygon
(it will be never checked, cause too much cpu cycles to do so) it should
be printed nevertheless, or it shouldn't be printed on the map.

There are many many more cases where it is stupid to assume that one can
simply assign a POI to a Polygon.