logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] --add-pois-to-areas behaviour

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jan 28 13:11:09 GMT 2010

On 28.01.2010 13:48, Christoph Wagner wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I found an issue with the --add-pois-to-areas option and don't know if it's a bug or a feature.
>
> Areas get only converted to points, if there is a matching rule in the points-style file AND if there is a matching rule in the polygons file.
> I don't understand the second condition.
>
> Imagine I want to show buildings only as a single point and no area. So it would be very useful to get building polygons converted to a point without specifiing it in polygons file.
>
> The dirty hack at the moment is to specify a rule in polygons and make the whole area transparent with a typfile, just to get a point created. But this is really stupid, because the polygon exist and the mousepointer could not show what is under this area.
> Can somebody help me?
>
> Christoph

That's because it's only a dirty hack alltogether. It would be bit
cleaner if there was a seperate file inside the style-file where one can
specify the poi to areas keys. Currently mkgmap can only know what kind
of POI to create, if it also has a matching Polygon. That's as far as I
understood the principle. Even with a seperate file it would still be a
rather dirty hack, as it would be much better to have the POI inside
openstretmap at first hand. I don't really think it is good style to map
POIs for areas. Maybe a better solution would be to not create a poi,
but just match in the search indexes (but I don't know if that is
possible, I deem this to be impossible).