logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] how to get --generate-sea working?

From Christoph Wagner freemaps.osm at googlemail.com on Wed Jan 27 23:54:34 GMT 2010

Hello list,

I am the developer of the All in one Garmin map.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/All_in_one_Garmin_Map

At the moment I try to make some garmin maps for haiti with mkgmap.
I use the geofabrik-extrakt of Haiti:
http://labs.geofabrik.de/haiti/latest.osm.bz2

The Problem is, that I am not able to make the damn sea blue!
Yes, I have read many many threads from this list about the generate-sea option, but things change rapidly and threads get really long.

I thought that I understand how the different options work, but I am still not able to get this sea stuff to run.

I use the latest mkgmap svn version.
I used --generate-sea=extend-sea-sectors and defined a rule in polygons-style-file:
natural=sea [0x32 resolution 10]

But it doesn't work for Haiti. So I give the --generate-sea=polygons,extend-sea-sectors a try, and added a
natural=land [0x27 resolution 10]
rule in polygons file. I mapped a color with my typfile to this garmintype.

But again - I couldn't get it to work. I really don't know what the problem is. The ocean looks like land.
Please can somebody help me and tell me what to do to use the --generate-sea stuff correctly with haiti extract?

Thank you!
(And yes - I checked, that the whole coastline is present in the osm-file!)

Christoph

Sorry for my bad english...