logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [mkgmap-svn] Commit: r1497: Merge the mp branch to trunk.

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Mon Jan 18 23:56:23 GMT 2010

On 19.01.2010 00:50, Mark Burton wrote:
> Also, if you compare our sea with, say, the NZ open GPS map (built
> using cgpsmapper), there's a lot more artifacts in the NZ map than
> there is now in our maps (either using polygons or multipolygon).
>
> And in response to what Felix has just posted, the NZ maps support
> routing across multiple tiles in mapsource. I was intrigued to know if
> our packaging (overview map, tdb, etc.) was causing our maps to fail to
> route across multiple tiles so I built a map using mkgmap that used the
> tiles from the NZ map. And guess what, mapsource could route just
> dandy. So it's not our overview map or tdb that's stopping the
> multi-tile routing in mapsource, it's something in the tiles (.img)
> files that's wrong.

Sorry for not being very clear. I think the routable overview map would
only be used for very long distance routing. So route from tile onto
overview map (motorways/trunk_roads/primaries/ferries only) to
destination, continue on normal map. I think the overview map is only
used if Mapsource cannot route using the normal tiles (e.g. setting
avoid highways with City Navigator maps and trying to route from Poland
to Portugual ). The main reason for overview map with roads would be to
have faster map panning when zoomed out in Mapsource.

I hope that once we have no more overlap, map redraw speed also
increases (and less flashing up in Mapsource when zoomed out far - if
you know what I mean).

Well I'm open for testing if new patches come....