logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [mkgmap-svn] Commit: r1497: Merge the mp branch to trunk.

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Mon Jan 18 23:43:32 GMT 2010

On 19.01.2010 00:26, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a map of the UK with sea (using --generate-sea=extend-sea-sectors)
>
> This is much better than the last time I tried as it was faster and
> there is no flooded land.
>
> I do get a lot of horizontal and vertical artefacts when zoomed out
> that go away when I zoom in.
>
> I assumed that Mark's patch would be the cure for that, but it doesn't
> appear to make any difference.
>
> Is that right or am I missing something?

No, I think there is simply still some work missing. I would use
--generate-sea=polygons,extend-sea-sectors, I think it gives better
performance in Mapsource or GPS (please speak up stranger if you had
time to really compare and tell if it is advisable to use or not).

IMHO the main problem is here that mkgmap still has no decent overview
map (ideally we would have a non empty overview map).
My top3 of what mkgmap still is missing or doing wrong:

1. Address Search only working in Mapsource (or inside active tile on
"old generation" GPS)
2. Overview map empty and a bit incorrect
3. Routing over tile boundaries in Mapsource -if solved the overlap
should not be needed (size decrease).

Once 1-3 are implemented, mkgmap has no more disadvantages at all
compared to cgpsmapper pro (costing big $$$$), and many many advantages.
It really shows how successful open source is.
BTW - I would have guessed that sea polygons will still take ages until
correctly implemented (on the other hand I thought 2-3 month ago it will
only be a matter of days until address search works not only in
Mapsource but also on GPS correctly).

In my opinion less important/major things to get right:
# transliterations (there seems to be some good work according to the
osm forum mkgmap section)
# coping better with contourline maps (e.g. some possibility to get rid
of those long straight lines that happen on data holes)
# using units. most importantly make it possible to calculate from miles
to kilometers, from feet to meters... (would be enough if one could have
multiplication with factors in style-file).
# I'll certainly have more ideas/wishes once the above is implemented.