logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Split barrier=* and traffic_calming=* to a separate layer?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Jan 12 21:06:59 GMT 2010

Some time ago, I faced some opposition against adding this to
styles/default/points:

+traffic_calming=* [0x6614 resolution 21]

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to split all barriers
(fences, gates, bollards, whatever) and traffic_calming to a separate
layer?  These objects are not usually searched for or routed to, and
they are not relevant for navigation much of the time.

In other words, I would propose a new style that would translate these
points and lines and remove the translations from the default style.

I would also propose to include a simple multi-layered map-making script
in the mkgmap repository.  (Or two scripts, one for Windows cmd.exe and
another for Bourne shell.)  Can someone please give me a hand with this?
How would I generate a transparent style=barrier layer on top of a
routable style=default layer?  (Note that no TYP files should be necessary
for this.)  Can mkgmap already join the two layers into a gmapsupp.img?
As a bonus, how about creating installers for MapSource and RoadTrip?

Best regards,

	Marko