logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Tue Jan 12 08:56:38 GMT 2010

On 12.01.2010 09:16, Charlie Ferrero wrote:
> Markus wrote:
>
>> Dear professionals,
>>
>> Mark has made a very nice nautical chart for www.OpenSeaMap.org
>> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/openseamap/files/Maps/Garmin/baltic.zip/download>
>> It works very well on handhelds!
>>
>> Next week we will exhibit OpenSeaMap on the boat show
>> www.boat-duesseldorf.com (23.-31. January, hall 14/G39).
>>
>> Now I need your help:
>> How can I make working the map on a Garmin nautical chart plotter?
>>
>> Garmin *GPSmap 525* with SD-slot.
>>
>> Sub-folder: "Garmin"
>> File: "gmapsupp.img"
>> Message: "Map format is not supported"
>> and: "DK Copenhagen"
>>
>> Thanks for help!
>> Markus
>>
> Playing around on the Garmin website (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/buym),
> it seems that only a very limited set of official Garmin maps are
> compatible with (or at least, available for) the GPSMap 525.  All of
> them are marine maps.
>
> It may be that marine maps have a slightly different format to the
> land-based maps.  AFAIK, there are at least three Garmin map formats:
> old (pre NT), NT and NT2.  I think mgkmap produces only old (pre NT) maps.

There are also three formats used by nautic maps. The old "blue chart"",
the newer G2, and the newest being called G2 vision (including aerial
photopgraphy).
The G2 / G2 vision maps cannot be displayed by Mapsource - instead you
have to use Garmin Homeport (which is not free).

--GPSmap 525
it strikes me that this unit is not listed to be compatible with normal
blue charts (
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/bluechartCD.jsp ). Also on
the unit page of Garmin it seems the 525 is only made for G2 or G2
vision maps.

So you might have to try out a nautic unit that is still listed being
compatible with Garmin blue chart maps.