logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin

From Charlie Ferrero charlie at cferrero.net on Tue Jan 12 08:16:36 GMT 2010

Markus wrote:
> Dear professionals,
>
> Mark has made a very nice nautical chart for www.OpenSeaMap.org
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/openseamap/files/Maps/Garmin/baltic.zip/download>
> It works very well on handhelds!
>
> Next week we will exhibit OpenSeaMap on the boat show
> www.boat-duesseldorf.com (23.-31. January, hall 14/G39).
>
> Now I need your help:
> How can I make working the map on a Garmin nautical chart plotter?
>
> Garmin *GPSmap 525* with SD-slot.
>
> Sub-folder: "Garmin"
> File: "gmapsupp.img"
> Message: "Map format is not supported"
> and: "DK Copenhagen"
>
> Thanks for help!
> Markus
Playing around on the Garmin website (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/buym),
it seems that only a very limited set of official Garmin maps are
compatible with (or at least, available for) the GPSMap 525.  All of
them are marine maps.

It may be that marine maps have a slightly different format to the
land-based maps.  AFAIK, there are at least three Garmin map formats:
old (pre NT), NT and NT2.  I think mgkmap produces only old (pre NT) maps.