logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestion - Make Douglas Peucker Algorithm more Configurable

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Thu Jan 7 22:57:54 GMT 2010

Am 07.01.2010 um 23:22 schrieb Johann Gail:

>> The "proper" solution would be to merge polygons if they overlap at the current resolution. Otherwise we might get "holes" in forests if they are mapped in small pieces. But I have no idea how to implement that...
>>
> Which would be rather counterproductive to the PolygonSplitter code :-(
> The polygons gets split to not hit any limits.

Not necessarily. With merging the polygons I meant to merge *what you actually see* on the map. That is also what makes it so hard, because the polygons will have no common points or even a common border, it just happens that they will overlap when displayed at a certain resolution.

> Seems, we need a complete new concept in handling polygons and
> multipolygons.

Maybe we need to rasterize the OSM polygons to a bitmap and then create the Garmin polygons from that? Would be lots of work though (programming and computing/memory wise)...

Regards
Thilo