logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Multiple .img files in one gmapsupp.img: Some will not show up

From Charlie Ferrero charlie at cferrero.net on Thu Jan 7 17:30:23 GMT 2010

Simon Eugster wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I'm using mkgmap r1466 and splitter r103.
>
> With my python script [1] I at first build .img files of various .osm.bz2
> files and then put some of them into a gmapsupp.img file.
>
> I do _not_ regenerate the .img files each time I create a gmapsupp.img. For
> image files of maps which did not change I replace the family ID (binary
> search&replace, in libGarmin.py in the bz2; see [1]). The family ID is
> _unique_ for every single file.
>

> Now my problem is that some tiles are simply missing. I just tried to build
> an Europe map, and Germany lacks about half of all tiles. For available
> tiles there is a rectangle on the map when zooming out to 200km+ (on my
> 60CSx), and they are missing in Germany. Spain is completely missing.
>
> When I go to «Setup Map» on the 60CSx, I see lots of entries like:
> * OSM street map, Area 00010005, Jan 2010
> * OSM street map, Area 00010000, Jan 2010
> But at least as much of these:
> * , , Jan 2010
> At least some of them do contain data. I could locate one of them in Germany.

I also had this last issue (tile names of ",,date").  The problem was
fixed for me from mkgmap r1443: I now just combine pre-existing
gmapsupp.img files for different regions.

I'm afraid I can't help you on why certain tiles are missing.  In my
past experience this has usually been because two tiles share the same
filename.  It seems intuitively odd to me that you use a different
family for *every* tile but I've no idea if this is the cause of the
problem.

> Question: What is going wrong there? Why are some tiles missing? Why is
> there an empty description (, , Jan 2010) for some tiles?
>

> Here the arguments I am using:
>
> SPLITTER
> --mapid=%s --status-freq=1 --geonames-file=%s %s
>
> MKGMAP
> --adjust-turn-headings --check-roundabouts --merge-lines --keep-going
> --remove-short-arcs --latin1 --route --make-all-cycleways
> --add-pois-to-areas --preserve-element-order --location-autofill=1
> --country-name="%s" --country-abbr=%s -n %s %s
>
> MKGMAP (gmapsupp.img)
> --gmapsupp %s
> (with all .img files as argument)
>

> Any help is appreciated.