logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Translating route=bus relations

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Jan 2 09:04:28 GMT 2010

Clinton,

Thank you for confirming my thinking.  I would like to see this functionality
committed to mkgmap.

> - I had to invoke mkgmap once for each layer. Each layer had a different
> draw priority, TYP file, and mkgmap options (the public transit layer was
> transparent and not routable).

Do you think that it could work without a TYP file?  I suppose that you are
defining custom symbols for bus/tram/rail stops and custom line styles for
the routes, by operator or network or vehicle type.

Could routing make sense?  Not all way attributes are accessible in every
unit, but a subset could be.  The Edge 705 can be told to avoid unpaved,
toll roads or highways.  For example, we could define long distance routes
as toll=yes, and subway routes as unpaved.  But this might only be practical
if the layer contained all walkable ways, which would blow up the size.
Good routing would also have to know about schedules.  This is something that
could be implemented in a GPS-enabled smartphone or netbook within GpsMid
or the like.  (There are web-based solutions already, though.)

> - I did not use mkgmap to create the final gmapsupp.img file though.
> Instead I used Garmin tools (Roadtrip, MapSource) for this.
> (Some of the more recent changes to mkgmap's gmapsupp code may
> better support this now.)

Could you please try out if it works with mkgmap now?

Best regards,

	Marko