logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Understanding the sea

From maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com on Wed Dec 30 06:42:06 GMT 2009

I am doing some test as well.  These are 3 problem islands I notice in my area:
http://osm.org/go/4jc4Tp
http://osm.org/go/4ymKMQ3
http://osm.org/go/4zK1EaT

When creating a map for the whole country the above group of islands
are always flooded.  The data seems to be correct.  I then created
separate maps within the bbox of the island and the sea polygon is OK.

Very common in the 3 examples are the very small islands almost close
to each other.  See example links:

http://osm.org/go/4ymKGZcnJ--
http://osm.org/go/4zK1OZBs1--

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Ronny Klier
<ronny.klier at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> Am 30.12.2009 01:13, schrieb Ronny Klier:
>>

>> Am 20:59, schrieb Mark Burton:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to understand how the --generate-sea stuff works. I want to
>>> know how it decides whether an "island" is water or land. The code does
>>> not really contain sufficient comments for me to work out what it's
>>> doing. I would expect it to close coastline segments that reach the
>>> tile boundary in a direction that is consistent with the "water on the
>>> right" convention but I can't see that in the code. Can anyone help
>>> please?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working for a while on the flooded island problem. Here's what I
>> found:
>>
>> To solve this I added code to find the nearest border and add a point at
>> this border. There should be no new problem through this because the created
>> point is in an empty area. (sea attached patch)
>>
>> I hope this helps a bit.
>>
>> Ronny
>>
> Sorry, I forgot to attach the patch in my last mail

cheers,
maning