logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Understanding the sea

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Mon Dec 28 20:22:11 GMT 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 19:54, Mark Burton wrote:

> I have agreed to help produce a marine map of the Baltic so
> it would be really nice if the sea was filled in without any really
> major problems (flooded land, etc.)

I, unfortunately, can't help you specifically with the generate sea stuff. I can only comment that my previous tests with this option were not particularly satisfactory. Since distinguishing land from water seems to be an important feature of marine maps, I wonder if it makes sense to generate a one-off sea layer using cGPSmapper instead of mkgmap, until the generate sea problems are resolved?

Or do most marine units have a sufficiently detailed base map? In that case a transparent OSM map (with POIs and other features) might be more appropriate, as this could be layered over the base sea map.

Cheers.