logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Multipolygons and disappearing coastlines

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Sat Dec 26 18:46:50 GMT 2009

Hi team,

I have been asked by the Open Sea Map people to help them generate some
maps with marine objects and while working on that I have noticed that
if a way is part of a multipolygon then all its tags get removed. This
is unfortunate because (in the test map I am looking at around Keil)
the coastline is part of a multipolygon (some administrative
boundary) and, therefore, the coastline doesn't appear in the map
because its tags have been removed (or is it global warming?)

So, is putting the coastline into a multipolygon a reasonable OSM
thing? If so, should mkgmap be breaking the coastline by removing its
tags? If not, how do we fix that?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark