logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1440: Don't show highways under construction as if they were normal roads

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Dec 26 07:52:08 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 12:53:27AM +0100, Andre Hinrichs wrote:
> Sometimes also construction=yes is used. Could this also be added?
>
> I've created a patch which adds this feature but I'm not sure if this is
> the most effective way to do this.

Would the styling language allow a single rule for construction=* in the
beginning that would be matched first?

Rather than omitting roads under construction, I would prefer to display
them as unroutable types or as routable with motorcar=no, because they
often are usable for bicycles and pedestrians.  In my home city, there
are many highway=construction, construction=*, surface=paved for new
residential areas that will be closed from general traffic for a few years.
They are perfectly good for bicycles and walking.

While we are at it, what about disused ways?  They too can be good for
walking and bicycling but unreachable to motor vehicles.  Is it enough
for them to be unreachable (except via highway=path), or should disused
ways be hidden altogether or displayed at the lowest resolution only?
According to <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:disused>, disused=yes
implies access=no, but we do not do that in the mkgmap default style.

And what about POIs with disused=yes?  I added a disused railway=halt where
you can't even see the platforms or access the rails any more, and this
former halt will show up in the "Ground Transportation" menu.  I don't really
mind that, because I prefer to include information.

Perhaps we could have a rule that would append some special characters to
the names of disused=yes objects.  (=) could be poor man's ASCII art for
the "no entry" traffic sign defined in the Vienna convention,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Signs_and_Signals>,
top left at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roadsign-prohibitory-1.png>)
We could use this (=) suffix also for highway=construction, couldn't we?

Best regards,

	Marko