logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] House numbers supported?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Dec 18 08:58:50 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 07:11:41PM +1100, Hendrik Oesterlin wrote:
> I tried to put some house numbers in OSM in order to be searchable on
> my Garmin device.
>
> See
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-22.275439&lon=166.45965&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
> and
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-22.15022&lon=166.48473&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
> for the two test locations.
>
> I was unable to find this house numbers on my Nüvi755. (using the
> 20091216_gmapsupp.zip available at my site
> http://www.oesterlin.ile.nc/gps/ )
>
> Is this feature supported by mkgmap?

As far as I can tell, it is not yet supported.  A friend once showed a
commercial map on his Edge 705, and it displayed house numbers when you
moved the pointer aside the street, and I suppose that house numbers would
have worked in the address search too.

In mkgmap-generated maps, addr:* and phone do show up in POI details on
the Edge 705.  That reminds me: Is it possible to change the address format?
Many European countries (except the UK) would display addresses like this:

name
addr:street addr:housenumber
addr:postcode addr:city
addr:country

In mkgmap-generated maps, the street/housenumber and postcode/city are
the other way around.  Looking at the gmapsupp.img, it seems that the
addresses are formatted in that way by Garmin.  Also, if addr:housenumber
contains a dash, it will be converted to "Apt.", apparently by Garmin.
That might make sense in some countries, but in this part of the world,
large properties can sometimes span several house numbers, and 12-14 would
mean a range of house numbers, not "12 Apt. 14".

Best regards,

	Marko