logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] naming map layers in a gmapsupp.img

From garvan.maew at online.com.kh garvan.maew at online.com.kh on Thu Dec 17 09:09:38 GMT 2009

Quoting Charlie Ferrero <charlie at cferrero.net>:

> Ralf Kleineisel wrote:
>> On 12/15/2009 04:00 PM, Charlie Ferrero wrote:
>>
>>> For the record,
>>>
>>> series-name: This is the name displayed in the top-left drop down list
>>> in MapSource and that is visible in the GPS menu (but only the series
>>> name of the top layer)
>>>
>>> family-name: This is the name that appears in MapSource's Map Product
>>> Manager (CTRL+U) and is also ascribed to each tile if transferred using
>>> send-map
>>>
>>> area-name: This is the name that appears against each tile in the GPS
>>> unit if transferred manually by copying a gmapsupp.img to SD card
>>
>> Different GPS units seem to handle this differently.
>>
>> My eTrex Legend HCx shows the "description" field in the "Setup map" menu
>> where you can select individual map tiles. I set it like this in the
>> template.args file:
>>
>> [...]
>> mapname: 10000058
>> input-file: 10000058.osm.gz
>> mapname: 10000059
>> input-file: 10000059.osm.gz
>> [...]
>>

> Sorry Ralf,
>
> I was only giving you half the information, let me try again and get it
> right this time.
>
> series-name: This is the name displayed in the top-left drop down list
> in MapSource and that is visible in the GPS menu [1] (but only the
> series name of the top layer) and that is also allocated to each tile
> [2] in certain circumstances
>
> family-name: This is the name that appears in MapSource's Map Product
> Manager (CTRL+U) and is also ascribed to each tile [2] if transferred
> using send-map
>
> area-name: This is the name that appears against each tile in the GPS
> unit if transferred manually by copying a gmapsupp.img to SD card

> [1] In map view, press Menu->Setup Map and scroll to Map Setup -
> Information, then press Menu again.  All OSM maps are listed with just
> the series-name of the top layer (even though each layer may have a
> different series-name)
>
> [2] In map view, press Menu->Setup Map and scroll to Map Setup -
> Information: every tile is listed with a check mark.  Each tile is named
> according to a pattern that varies depending on how the maps were
> transferred to the GPS unit, see next section.
>

> What names are given to tiles in different situations?
> 1) Create gmapsupp.img using sendmap, then copy to SD card manually:
>   [description], [series-name], compilation_date
>
> 2) Transfer a single tile using sendmap over USB
>   [description], mapset, compilation_date
>
> 3) Create a gmapsupp.img file using sendmap, then transfer over USB
>   [description], [series-name], compilation_date
>

> I haven't tried what happens if I use MapSource to create and transfer a
> gmapsupp because I haven't actually figured out how to do it
> [embarassed].  Even though I've got maps installed in MapSource, if I
> select "Send to device" it tells me that "To transfer data to your
> [...]

Your Tool Meun may be hidden in mapsource. From the menu select
Tools->Map, and then select all the tiles you want to transfer to your
device by draging a selection box over them with the mouse, or
clicking on each tile.

It would be nice to have a table to show where all different options
show up in mapsource and on the gps. I have never seen the bug you are
describing, but I have the family-name, not the series-name displaying
in menu [1], and my GPS has no external memory so I can only use
mapsource to upload maps.

Garvan