logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Boundary names, relations and left:*, right:* tags

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Dec 14 21:59:48 GMT 2009

Hi Toby, all, and sorry for replying to an old post.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 03:57:41PM +0100, Toby Speight wrote:
> 0> In article <20090416102702.GA4109 at x60s>,
> 0> Marko Mäkelä <URL:mailto:marko.makela at iki.fi> ("Marko") wrote:
>
> Marko> Could the minor boundaries be displayed on close zoom levels?
> Marko> They can be useful when the neighbour of a large city is mostly
> Marko> agricultural.  It's often nicer to ride a bicycle in rural
> Marko> areas, on minor roads with little traffic or intersections.
>
> I have this in my style/lines:
>
> /------
> | boundary=administrative
> |   { name '${left:country}/${right:country}' | '${left:county}/${right:county}' }
> | boundary=administrative & admin_level<5 | boundary=national [0x1e resolution 17]
> | boundary=administrative & admin_level<7 | boundary=political [0x1d resolution 19]
> | #boundary=administrative [0x1c resolution 21]
> | boundary=national [0x1e resolution 17]
> | boundary=political [0x1c resolution 17]
> \------
>
> I haven't really tweaked it to my liking, but it shows the principle.

I adapted this for the default style last week.

However, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary
says that relations are used in order to avoid "name:left name:right,
nation:right, region:right." I did not investigate if such *:left and
*:right tags have been used in place of left:* and right:*, but I would
like to remove the rules for left:* and right:* and solely rely on the
relation names (one relation per country/province/city/suburb etc.).
Seeing unnamed "State border" lines on the Garmin map should encourage
mappers to define boundary relations.

What do you think?  Should I remove the rules for left:*, right:*
names from the default style, or should I just add a comment to
the effect that "these are deprecated, see the 'relations' file and
wiki/Relation:boundary"?

Best regards,

	Marko