logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [POI Categories Mismatch]

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Dec 9 08:06:10 GMT 2009

Hi again Stéphane,
> But There is no way to resolve this trouble?
> I don't know... Maybe change manually the POI type on the OSM side in
> order to match the Garmin Poi's type.
> Does it seem possible?

As far as I understand, the Garmin POI menu structure is predetermined
by Garmin.  The text labels and the icons can be overridden with a TYP
file.  Long term, I think that we should include TYP files in the styles,
but someone would have to implement that.  It is just a matter of coming
up with a nice textual format and programming a converter in Java.
All relevant information and some tools are already out there.

What do you want to achieve?  There already are separate POI codes for
toilets (0x4e00) and tourism information (0x2f0c).  The problem as far
as I see it is that the icon for 0x2f0c is misleading.  I would rather
include all tourism=information on the map, instead of insisting on a
correct default icon and only using 0x2f0c for
amenity=toilets & tourism=information.

I do not know how you are using the map, but I tend to access the POIs
via the Where To? - Find Places menu.  Most POI icons only seem to be
visible at 50m or closer zoom level, so they cannot be easily seen when
browsing the map on the tiny screen.  Therefore I do not care much about
the appearance of the icons.  For example, if I see a white square icon,
I move the pointer over it to see the POI details.

Best regards,

	Marko