logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Marko is maintaining the mkgmap default style file

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Dec 7 10:28:59 GMT 2009

Hi Felix,

> You should tryout the default style drawing speed in Germany or the
> Netherlands - other places detail level will sometimes catch up, and so
> to say - less is more. I a country is 100% street and waymapped, then
> the current style is far too overloaded in low resolutions.

Can you post a couple of sample pics of what you find overloaded and
what it should look like?  Drawing the map of Helsinki area is taking
several seconds at low resolutions, and I agree that the minimum
resolutions of some map features could be bumped up a little.

My area (25 km north from Helsinki) has almost full coverage of the public
road network.  Only some cycleways, paths, driveways and alleys are missing,
and I have been adding those.  Helsinki is very well mapped: you can easily
run out of memory in JOSM. :-)

I see that http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/germany/ has per-state
planet extracts.  Do you think that Hamburg or Schleswig-Holstein would
serve as good examples?  Or perhaps Berlin?  Those are the areas of Germany
that I am most familiar with.

	Marko