logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Style-file repository?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Nov 26 11:43:50 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:05:01AM +0000, charlie at cferrero.net wrote:
> Quoting Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>:
>
> > The attached patch replaces the + in the names of shelter-equipped
> > bus/tram/train stops with * when lit=yes.  When travelling by foot or
> > bicycle during dark time of a day, it can be helpful to find the nearest
> > lit shelter for a break.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > 	Marko
> >
> Marko (and list),
>
> A while back we discussed creating a style repository for mkgmap,
> where we can put our own individual style files (there must be a fair
> few between regular users now).  Rather than apply your patches to the
> default style, perhaps we could kick-start the style repository?

I think that the default style should still be maintained.  There is some
value in having sensible defaults.  I do see value in other styles and
hacks, such as distinguishing different types of paths by drawing multiple
lines per way or repurposing taxi/delivery/emergency flags for custom
bicycle routing, but I would keep the default style bare-bones.

I must say that I have not played with other styles than the default.
Is it possible to include the definitions of another style by reference
and override them?  That would allow improvements in the default style
to be automatically applied to other styles.  In that way, custom styles
would be easier to maintain and understand, as they would not copy large
amounts of definitions from other styles.

A while back, when I emailed Steve directly to ask him to apply my
shelter=yes/no to +/- patch, he asked if I would like to maintain the
default style.  I said yes, but I guess that Steve has been busy with
other things.

> We could also add a TYP file repository.  I've found it inordinately
> hard to find any sort of systematic directory of TYP files online (and
> what I have found, tends mostly to be on Czech web-pages, for some
> reason).

Agreed.  But I think that we should have the files in an editable format
(a text file that is converted to binary TYP by a simple program) and the
origin and the copyright information of every icon has to be clearly
documented.

Best regards,

	Marko