logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Setting map name when seen in eTrex Vista

From Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de on Fri Nov 20 08:07:32 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 November 2009 02:17:41 Peter & Suzie wrote:

> I have created 2 sets of maps and when I load them into the GPS they
> both have the name in the menu to hide show a map set, see menu.bmp
> When I go to individual maps I can see the correct names, see bike &
>  car.bmp I have tried every option on mkgmap but this never changes, any
>  one know where the name is set?

The name in the Menu.bmp is the family-name. It is valid for all tiles of that
family-id. The name in the bike.bmp is the tile name, in mkgmap config file
you set it with the "description" option.

If you want to have one gmapsupp.img which contains a bike map and a car map
and both have more than one tile you need two different family-ids and family-
names. If you use TYP files you need one for each family.

Your template.args file might look like this:

product-id=1
family-id=1234
family-name=car_map

mapname=10000001