logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Naming cycleways or footways by the adjacent highway

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Nov 18 09:26:40 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:59:53PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Is there any "standard" tag for such "fake" cycleway names?  Theoretically,
> the most appealing approach would be to group all OSM ways (lanes) that
> belong to a physical highway in a relation.  Alas, based on what I have seen
> when fixing roundabouts, relations tend to get broken over time.  Could
> we invent a new name tag for this?  User alv proposed name:isnextto, but
> I find that it could be confused with a language code such as name:en.
> Perhaps way_name and way_ref?  Any ideas?

I got a third idea: introduce a way attribute for indicating that the name
is actually copied from a nearby way.  There already are attributes that
suppress the rendering of names.  I posted a question at
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=46412
and hope to get some feedback there.

In that message, I am also suggesting an attribute for hiding objects
on certain zoom levels, to remove clutter from cycleway lanes drawn as
separate ways and to allow minor ways to be drawn at wide zoom levels
when they are the only ways through a large area.  Maybe there already
is a mkgmap:resolution attribute, but a generic name that can be
interpreted by "all" renderers would be better.

Best regards,

	Marko