logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Style work-around to longer routing

From Du Plessis, Bennie Bennie.DuPlessis at sappi.com on Mon Nov 9 07:27:26 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----

From: Clinton Gladstone [mailto:clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com]

Sent: 06 November 2009 14:56 PM

To: Development list for mkgmap

Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] indexing stuff

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Du Plessis, Bennie

<Bennie.DuPlessis at sappi.com> wrote:

> BTW I found a style file work around to increase routing distance.

> Where my map's max was 1400km before I can now route up to 2200km, by
simply

> upgrading the road-class of the major long distance connector roads.

Would you be so kind as to share with us what you exactly did here? ;-)

I added the following to the lines stylefile

after the line

highway=motorway {add oneway = yes; add bicycle = no; add foot = no }
[0x01 road_class=4 road_speed=6 resolution 12]

#handling specific long distance connector routes

highway=trunk & (ref=N1|ref=N2|ref=N3|ref=N4) [0x02 road_class=4
road_speed=5 resolution 12]

N routes in South Africa = national routes, but does not qualify to be
motorways in OSM.
Even so I want it to be visible at a high zoom level, specifically the
N1 to N4, which is major long distance connector roads.
I therefore started palying with the stylefile, and the intention was to
increase the resolution, so that the line is visible earlier.
I left the line type at 0x02 (trunk) to still have visual distinction
betwn trunk & motorway.
I also increased the road class, and speed by 1 each because it gives me
slightly more realistic times (I think).
Bad move to do all these changes at once, because one of them enabled my
Nuvi to now route longer distances,
I think it was the increase in road class. The improvement still only
works if preference = faster route and not for Shorter route.

In terms of address search, I have used this successfully on my eTrex,

but so far only in my local region. I think getting this to work

depends on a lot of factors, such as your area, how you compile and

install the map, and how you transfer it to your device. Most likely

when this feature stabilizes, there will be better instructions on how

to use it.

Hmm yeah, instructions... realy kind of vital for guys like me. I try to
keep track of the forum, to have an idea, but with the zipped txt
archives that doesn't work it becomes very cumbersome to catch tips that
I've missed.
How do I compile changes to help files to suggest for commitment?

I see files, is it also called patches, with a lot of lines and symbols
like @ @@ ++ -- + - at the start of each / some lines,
sometimes number pairs that looks like coordinates?
How does all this stuff work and what does each symbol mean?
If I understand I can maybe help update the help files?

Garmin Basemaps:

Another interesting observation I've made:

My Nuvi200 came with 2 maps: GmapSupp on SD card, and a basemap
gmapbmap.img on the device itself,

which I removed because my earlier OSM maps did not work with it.

I've now put it back and found the following changed:

 My custom map is now selectable on the GPS, which failed before.

 The longer routing now also works for "shorter routes" preference.

 My OSM map is transparent and with draw priority 3, so I have an
irritating basemap cluttering up my display.

Next to do:

 Build a map with MyStyle for longer routing, and one with standard
style, and test routing now on both maps with basemap installed

 Build my map with higher Draw Priority than basemap (I assume it will
be 25, and will start at 26 and work gradualy down) and not transparent.

 See if I can build my own basemap.

Groete

BennieD

Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal's comprehensive email content security solution.
Download a free evaluation of MailMarshal at www.marshal.com