logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Reserved codes for custom needs?

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Fri Nov 6 11:44:33 GMT 2009

Quoting Andre Hinrichs <andre.hinrichs at gmx.de>:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm just working on a specific style which shall help me mapping some
> details when I walk around. E.g. I'd like to have an icon for
> traffic_signals and different icons for emergency_phone/telephone and
> different icons for post_boxes with collection_times and without
> collection_times. Otherwise it's really difficult to see whether I have
> already tagged some details or not.
>
> I've searched the current cGPSmapper-UsrMan-v02.5.pdf for assistance but
> could not find any codes which I can use for custom needs.
>
> Question: Will I get problems if I use codes which are not listed in the
> document or is this just unknown? Or are there even codes which are
> reserved for custom needs?
There's a gazillion POI Garmin types available, but only a couple of
hundred are distinct icons - so you get a lot of repetition.  As far
as I know, you can use any POI type code you like, combine it with the
corresponding style file entry to assign it to a given OSM tag, and
then use a TYP file to give it the symbol you want.

FWIW, I'm (slowly) putting together a spreadsheet with each type code
and the corresponding default symbol (i.e. how it appears on the GPSr
unit when you're not using a TYP file).  To do this I wrote a little
app in c that outputs an OSM file containing a regular grid of POIs
with an associated points style file that assigns a unique type code
to each node.  It can generate an arbitrarily large grid of POIS.  At
the moment I'm working through the first 10,000... :)

--
Charlie