logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway shields in label occasionally dropped

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Wed Nov 4 11:23:26 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Gert Münzel <Gert.Muenzel at netcologne.de> wrote:

> I have looked in the code and found  in the HighwaySymbolFilter.java
> this "alpha_balance" which is the reason for.
> Simply changing "return value" to "return prefix + value" stops this.
>
> Looking at the examples, the results of the filter is a bit strange to
> me. I can't get the intention.
> Do we really need this filter ?

I believe there are two purposes to this filter:

1. To filter out values which would be implausible for a highway shield.

That is, some refs look like "Autostrada del Sole", which would result
in a shield displaying just "Autostrada", which isn't really
desirable.

2. To remove spaces from plausible refs.

As you noted above, intermediate spaces have to be removed from refs
such as "B 1", as only "B" would be displayed in the shield.

That said, the filter algorithm could certainly be improved. If I have
time this week, I might try taking a few hacks at it. You could do the
same, if this would amuse you. ;-)

Cheers.