logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing warning for --check-roundabout-flares

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Nov 3 19:59:12 GMT 2009

Mark,

> > You may also wish to try out the new --check-roundabout-flares option
> > which checks that roundabout flare roads are sane (oneway, point in the
> > right directions and don't extend further than they need to).
>
> Thanks, I think I will try to outsource the job in the Finnish community,
> possibly by posting a note or link on my map download page
> http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/.

In the end, I fixed all (or most) warnings myself.  I also ended up fixing
some nearby problems.  For example in Pori, most residential roads were
unconnected in the junctions.  Just lines arranged in a grid, but with
no junctions. :-(

The funniest warning that I fixed was a tiny roundabout of highway=track
next to a highway=secondary or so.  I replaced it with a single junction
node of highway=mini_roundabout and also replaced the highway=track with
highway=cycleway, cycleway=track.

I wonder why I did not get any warnings for the flare roads of my
nearest roundabout:

In the map extracts that mkgmap has processed so far, each of the four
Y-shaped ways that connect to the roundabout were defined as two ways,
a slash-shaped way that connected to the angled way.  None of the ways
carried a oneway attribute.  I have now split the Y into three ways
and defined oneway=yes on the V ways.

Best regards,

	Marko