logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Unable to send maps with MapSource

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at jemila.jazztel.es on Fri Oct 23 09:15:57 BST 2009

Steve Ratcliffe escribió:
> On 21/10/09 14:26, Nakor wrote:
>> How is a "region" defined? I was able to generate a pretty big map in
>> the States and it tranferred fine to the GPS (took more than one hour
>> thru MapSource). How can I know how many "regions" I have in there?
>
> Region in the Garmin format terms is the part of the address between
> the city and the country.  What it should actually be differs from
> country to country.  For the States I would think it should be the
> state.
>
> For mkgmap though, as this information is typically not present in OSM,
> there are various options and guesses that are made which I hope
> someone who is more familiar with it will explain...
>
> You can tell what has ended up as region if you search for a city then
> you may see something like:
>
> emeryville, emeryville, CA, USA
>
> (The city is repeated for unknown reasons)
This is what I've found in some limited test. I have a map with the
following nodes:
<node>
    is_in:A Coruna,Galicia,Spain
    name:Cerdido
    place:town
</node>
<node>
    is_in:Naron,A Coruna,Galicia,Spain
    name:Pedroso
    place:village
</node>
<node>
    is_in:A Coruna,Galicia,Spain
    name:San Sadurniño
    place:vilage
</node>
Searching in the Cities tab, if I introduce any of the three names above
in the City field and leave blank the others fields, search result is
one entry in the form name, name, A CORUNA, ESP. If I also introduce "A
Coruna" in the State/Province field, I get six entries for Cerdido
(Cerdido, Cerdido, A CORUNA, ESP), two for Pedroso and one for San
Sadurniño. Finally, if I leave blank City field and introduce "A Coruna"
as State/Province, I get 6 Cerdido+2 Pedroso+1 San Sadurniño
Map is built with  --location-autofill=1
I hope this information is of some usefulness.

> In this case CA would be the region.  If mkgmap cannot determine a
> region then you will just see city, city, country.
>
> More directly if you apply the attached patch, then the list of
> regions for each map processed will be printed.
Sad to say that most of the names listed in my maps have nothing to do
with actual regions. I'm afraid a lot of work on osm data is required.
Regards,
Carlos