logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter: Possible bug: not escaping '>' with '> '

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu Oct 22 13:48:41 BST 2009

Hi Ivan

>     No, the '>' is a valid character inside the attribute value. Only '&',
>     '<' and the enclosing quote character need to be escaped.
>

> Please allow me to disagree, at least on definition...
>
> Quote from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/
> ---
> The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) /MUST NOT/
> appear in their literal form, except when used as markup delimiters,
> or within a comment <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-comment>, a
> processing instruction <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-pi>, or a
> CDATA section <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-cdsection>. If they
> are needed elsewhere, they /MUST/ be escaped
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-escape> using either numeric
> character references <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-charref> or the
> strings " |&amp;| " and " |&lt;| " respectively. The right angle
> bracket (>)* *may be represented using the string " |&gt;| ", and
> /MUST/, for compatibility <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-compat>,
> be escaped using either " |&gt;| " or a character reference when it
> appears in the string " |]]>| " in content, when that string is not
> marking the end of a CDATA section
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-cdsection>.
How does that differ from what I said? Any & and < must be escaped. The
 > character does not
need to be escaped.  The exception for " ]]>" does not apply to
attribute values because, I believe,
they are not "content" and this would not apply for the given example in
any case.

<tag k='name' v='Zakynthos&lt;>  Kyllini'/>

..Steve