logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Unable to send maps with MapSource

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu Oct 22 12:11:07 BST 2009

On 21/10/09 14:26, Nakor wrote:
> How is a "region" defined? I was able to generate a pretty big map in
> the States and it tranferred fine to the GPS (took more than one hour
> thru MapSource). How can I know how many "regions" I have in there?

Region in the Garmin format terms is the part of the address between
the city and the country.  What it should actually be differs from
country to country.  For the States I would think it should be the
state.

For mkgmap though, as this information is typically not present in OSM,
there are various options and guesses that are made which I hope
someone who is more familiar with it will explain...

You can tell what has ended up as region if you search for a city then
you may see something like:

emeryville, emeryville, CA, USA

(The city is repeated for unknown reasons)

In this case CA would be the region.  If mkgmap cannot determine a
region then you will just see city, city, country.

More directly if you apply the attached patch, then the list of
regions for each map processed will be printed.

..Steve