logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1265: Added --drive-on-left, --drive-on-right and --check-roundabouts options.

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Tue Oct 20 16:01:17 BST 2009

Mark Burton wrote:
> Splitting roundabouts into segments is very common in the UK because
> of route relations. i.e. a bus route uses part of a roundabout and so
> the roundabout is split into segments so that only a portion of the
> roundabout is part of the bus route.

Not to mention motorway-junction roundabouts which have to be split so
that part of them can be flagged "bridge=yes" & "layer = 1".

> It's incredible what crap people are
> happy to put into the OSM database. I get the impression that most
> contributors don't give a toss about the map being routable or not.

True, but unless they've got a Garmin, and use mkgmap, they're unlikely
to have tried using the data for routing. There isn't a "mktomtommap"
yet, is there? The more people start to wake up to the advantages of
up-to-date free maps for their in-car GPS units, the better the data
will become.

Mind you - it's going to take ages to get universally good.

Steve