logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] First contact with mdr

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sun Oct 18 11:23:44 BST 2009

Carlos Dávila wrote:
> I've just built my first map with this new (and very expected) feature
> and playing with it. First to say is a big thank to Steve and all testers.
> I want to report some issues I find.
> 1- In the City tab I can search for my city, Cáceres, but if I try in
> the Address tab MapSource complains when typing á and doesn't find anything.
> 2- Under State/Province I can see a lot of places that aren't either
> states or provinces. I'm afraid it's wrong osm data, but I would like to
> know where (osm tag) those names come from.
> 3- In Spain most streets are tagged in the form "Street name", so you
> have to type always street, avenue or whatever before the name in all
> searches. Is that the expected behaviour? Is there any workaround?

This is expected behaviour, because the naming is more or less wrong.
However In France the same problem exists, and in Germany/Austria the
problem exists with bicycleways called "Radweg Name" or "Radroute Name".
I do think too that for the search to become truly effective there would
need to be an additional filter to filter out words. I think it would be
best to then create multiple entries like a) Avenue Charles de Gaulle b)
Charles de Gaulle so independant of how you search - you would find the
street! I think Thilo had already started some sort of filtering in this
regard. Best would off course be an additional file where you can define
all such entries. In German also many streets are named "name street" so
it would be great if also from the back certain words could be deleted
(though this is not so important because of the autocomplete feature)
but there would need to be a seperation because some words that could be
deleted at the "end" should not be deleted in the "beginning" of the name.