logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Creating DEM-like maps using TYP customisation

From Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de on Sun Oct 4 12:22:22 BST 2009

Marko Mäkelä wrote:

> Another idea: would it be possible to create a global contour line map
> from the ASTER data and distribute it?

I don't know about ASTER, but with srtm2osm I didn't manage to generate
the whole of Europe at once. Germany did work, though.

> Could the contour line map be
> an overlay on a more variable map?

Yes, that's what I have done for my topo map:
http://www.kleineisel.de/ralf/gps/garmin/

> Would the tile borders have to match?

No, that's not necessary.

> Could the two maps (contours and OSM-based overlay) be enabled or disabled
> from the device's settings menu?

Yes. If you use two different family-IDs, make two complete gmapsupp.img
and join them with gmaptool it works.

> It would be useful to have a "static" contour line map, because elevation
> data does not change (or is not surveyed) as often as OpenStreetMap.

Sure, I recycle my SRTM layers when I make an updated OSM layer. I did
recreate them a few weeks ago because the "max 4 tiles bug" in mkgmap
splitter was fixed.