logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Creating DEM-like maps using TYP customisation

From Martin Simon grenzdebil at gmail.com on Sun Oct 4 08:33:36 BST 2009

2009/10/3 Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>:
> Another idea: would it be possible to create a global contour line map
> from the ASTER data and distribute it?  Could the contour line map be
> an overlay on a more variable map?  Would the tile borders have to match?
> Could the two maps (contours and OSM-based overlay) be enabled or disabled
> from the device's settings menu?

Yes, I already do this with my garmin map. It has elevation data,
"base" map and maxspeed layer to be switched on and off individually.

Have a look at these commands that explain how the German "All in one
Map"(not my work!) is created:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:All_in_one_Garmin_Map#Technik

You only need gmaptool and the right family and product ids in your
"layers". :-)

But I use SRMT, as I don't know how to use ASTER data.

-Martin