logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Should inter tile routing still work when splittingSplitter results again?

From Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de on Wed Sep 30 09:54:19 BST 2009

On 09/30/2009 10:21 AM, charlie at cferrero.net wrote:

> This is true, but what you describe is an issue of mkgmap styles, not
> of splitter tile boundaries.  I struggle to think why different people
> would particularly want to define different tiles, as long as the
> default set of tiles met sensible criteria (don't split major cities,
> don't include large amounts of empty sea, where possible don't include
> multiple countries etc).

The point is this: If someone doesn't include building outlines and tracks
in his map he can make the tiles much bigger. If someone wants all the
details in the map he needs much smaller tiles. It is even possible to put
all polygon data into a seperate layer because it is not relevant for the
routing. Then you have only the streets in the routing tiles and these can
be much bigger.

Basically we would have to base the splitting on the style used.